"As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness,
you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you"
Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Desk to End Table Transformation

A while back a friend of mine gave me this desk.
I wish I would have taken pictures of the back.
It's been painted at least 4 different colors.
Brown, Cream, Aqua and then this Maroon color.



I had plans of repainting it and using it as it is, a cute little desk.
But I ended up not needed another desk in my house.
But, I did need an end table!
*light bulb moment*

I grabbed my mallet and knocked the legs and back off the desk portion of the desk
and then used the chainsaw to cut off the top portion.

Then, I sanded it smooth
I left the top layers of paint but I smoothed them out.

I wanted to be able to see the texture of the layers and some of the color coming through.
Then, I painted it white.
Sanded the edges and made a few "worn" spots.
Then, I used my glaze and some dark teal paint to glaze the desk.

I added some new knobs and gave her
(yes, I assume all of my furniture is female...
with exception of the toilet and any recliners.)
a new home in my newly finished basement.








Linked up here today:



homework





3 comments:

Kristy Laxman said...

Super cute Jen. I love following your blog. Whatever inspired you to start such a fun project. The blog, not the end stand!

Kristy said...

I saw this post on Better After - and it's come at a great time! My cousin just offered me a desk she's getting rid of, and it has a similar shape to yours. I'm not sure I need a desk, though I could use a end table, so I'll need to keep that in mind for my transformation!

Nikki said...

came over from better after. LOVED your comment about female furniture!