"As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness,
you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you"
Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Star Wars Baby Quilt

My BCF (Best Cousin Forever) and his cute wife are having a little boy any day now.
Their nursery theme is Baby Star Wars.
Baby. Star. Wars.
Is that not the cutest?  It totally fits them too.
As soon as he told me, I knew I had to make a quilt for his little man
and I knew it had to be Star Wars related.
The first thing I did was scour the internet for Babyish Star Wars fabric.
Guess what?  There is not a surplus of them. There is one.

One.

Luckily it's adorable and it's available at Spoonflower.com  It's also available in pink and fat quarters.

  


So while I waited not-so-patiently for my order to arrive I started on R2D2.  I drew him out on a piece of card stock.  I then chose his colors and ironed the fabrics on to Heat n Bond iron on adhesive.

 After all the fabric scraps were ironed on, I started cutting my R2D2 out.  Starting with the biggest piece.  I traced it onto the white fabric and then cut the pattern down smaller (Don't worry, I made a copy of him beforehand so that I'd be able to make another one of these babies later on.) I traced each piece on to it's corresponding fabric and then ironed him all together one piece at a time.   

I then used Sophia (that's my sewing machine's name) to stitch around each piece in coordinating thread.  I used a zig zag stitch.  Yes, it took forever.  It was so worth it though.


After I got him all stitched I added a button for his "eye" 
and used my embroidery attachment to add the words "the force is strong with this one."





I think it turned out pretty cute myself.
Once my fabric arrived, I joined the two pieces with a thin layer of quilting batting and finished the edges.


I gave this to my cousin and cousin's wife last week.
They loved it.
Yay.







Linked up here today:



  

19 comments:

REBYRYAN said...

LOVE the detailed instructions! And love the quilt too! You are very talented!

Leisa said...

That is just absolutely adorable! What a great idea!

Rebecca Wagner said...

Ack! Star Wars nursery!?!?! Where were these when I had my two boys? This soooo would have been their decor.

TFS! Your blanket is awesome.

The Happy Card Encouragement Factory

Jen Flint said...

Thank you!

Jen Flint said...

Thank you! I love how it turned out.

Jen Flint said...

I know! It's such a great idea.

Thank you do much!

Mike Nixon said...

Awesome baby quilt using my Star Wars Kids fabric. It would be great if you would post a pic of it on my fabrics page on Spoonflower.

For any interested parties art prints, t-shirts, hoodies, cell phone cases, throw pillows, and more are now available on Society6.com/NixonGraphix

Serenity Chriscoll said...

This is incredible!! I wish I could see :( would you ever consider making one of these and selling it?

Serenity Chriscoll said...

*sew I wish I could sew haha

Sue said...

Would you consider sharing the pattern for R2D2? I'd love to make one!

Anonymous said...

how much fabric did you order to make this please? yard? thanks

Jen Flint said...

Hi Serenity! I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. Yes, I have considered it. :) Email me at Eatingmycandy@gmail.com if you are really interested.

Jen

Jen Flint said...

Yes, I would be happy to share. As soon as I have some time I'll draw it out and share it. :)

Jen Flint said...

I used 1 yard of each side. So, two total. One yard of the star wars print and one of the solid blue.

Linda B. said...

I'm expecting a grandson and may have to steal this idea -- This is just too cute!

Jen said...

Another request for the R2 applique pattern if you're willing to share. My little nephew is in need of a Star Wars quilt :)

Haylee said...

Ok what? This is amazing!! Oh my gosh seriously, my mind is blown.

Jen Flint said...

I haven't had time to figure out how to get a pattern put together to share. As soon as I do, I'll let you know.

Jen Flint said...

Thank you. I'm so glad you like it.

They are available to purchase at etsy.com/shops/eatingmycandy